Thursday, June 16, 2011

Wk3 (Gibson’s Rule #6) Ch. 5-8



I have found myself switching from nugget to nugget of wisdom as I continue to read this book, but the one that stands out for me that I had to reflect back on was Rule#6. The interesting thing about this is that I heard a very similar quote used by a mentor of mine 1996 when I was working with Americorps National Service at a shelter for runaways.

The agency’s director, Mr. Gibson, used to always say to me: “Life is Hard, but not all that serious”. I did not know them that it would become such a quotable by me, or that it would even have so much shelf life after the first time he stated it.

The similarities between this and Zander’s Rule #6 were so obvious to me that when I read this, actually found myself laughing out loud. The irony is that he (Mr. Gibson) showed by example kindness, professionalism congeniality, and diligent, dedicated hard work on a level that I hadn’t seen before and only have seen a handful of times since in a supervisor; unusually enough, he had a demeanor that mirrored this quote every time I saw him. (Perhaps that is why I remember it so well) I remember thinking briefly "how could you have so much going on, put so much into it and utter such a phrase"?

As I think back on the times we have talked about it and what I know about his time in the agency I can reasonably surmise that this mantra was cultivated over a long period of time (all the "salt and pepper effects" in his hair is a solid indicator as well) It became a well known joke through the agency that if Mr. Gibson got mad, that you REALLY messed up, because I personally can’t seem to remember it happening (though I have heard that it has)

I remember him laughing and seemingly taking a lighthearted approach to most things, even when came in to "fix it all". It all seem to run a certain way when he was around, and usually when any "hell broke loose" you could bet that he wasn't there, or if he was, the Hell wouldn't last long. What I internalized was that in the grand scheme of things many aspects of life are 90% about how you handle the other 10. In his way of taking the big stuff and being hands off with basic operations, we felt empowered, but it was obvious he still ran the show. Even though his ultimatums may have been just that, they were never phrased as such...which I think in some small way he granted us greatness by letting go of our hands and by not leading from the podium.... but from an extremely comfy leather chair with wheels on the other side of the agency. (Yes, we all sit in it when he's gone!)

Life is truly hard, but not that serious.... so I need to try a little each day to not take myself as such...
Thanks for the life lesson Mr. Gibson. I don't think I will ever forget it!

1 comment:

  1. John,
    A quote I am reminded of, goes like this:
    If you don't like your situation, change it!
    If you can't change it, change your attitude about it!

    In a profession where many things are out of our control, students, mandates, even grade placement, I have to say this quote often. I remind myself of what I can control and move on from there. There is no need or benefit from worrying or distressing over that which we have no control.

    ReplyDelete