Thursday, June 9, 2011

Wk2: Blog Entry 1: The Art of Possibility



http://www.amazon.com/Art-Possibility-Transforming-Professional-Personal/dp/0142001104#reader_0142001104


I had a little trouble with the reading this week. Not because it was dry mind you, quite the contrary, it was one of the more insightful and captivating readings I have read recently. I found it very difficult to not “highlight ” the majority of the book, which is usually the telltale signs of engaging reading for me!

I screen shot many sections that spoke to personal situations, observations and truths, but found myself connected the most to the first quote I highlighted

It spoke of 2 marketing scouts in Africa researching expansion of the business and where one complains of no shoes being worn, the other celebrates this as a untapped market for selling shoes.

The 4 chapters of this book I read produced so many more nuggets, but this one stayed with me because it constantly rang in my head as other stories and examples were showcased through out the book. 

The point I received from this, and subsequent examples is that the viewpoint that you bring, adopt, or cultivate in or despite of the environment, people or circumstances that naturally come about will have great bearing on the reactions to them and how you internalize.

For example, when the Monks at the monastery all thought that the Messiah was among them, they started treating themselves and each other with higher esteem on the off chance that they might be in daily interaction with him.

The concept I got from this is when already operating under the assumption of the best-case scenario, people will be great and we should create an atmosphere and opportunity for them to step into that role.  Even in the less than 100% probability of success, like the case of the woman on the beach throwing starfish back in the sea that have been beached: saving a few doesn’t seem to make a difference in looking at the grand scheme, but it does to the ones that you do save

No comments:

Post a Comment