Friday, June 10, 2011

Wk2: iCloud(y) with a chance of confusion




With all the correspondence as of late about the end of MobileMe for all new subscribers and the introduction of iCloud in the fall, I thought I spend l time looking at what the information gatekeepers at technology's favorite fruit store would tell me about iCloud.

According to my favorite, yet disturbingly gaunt looking tech guru, Steve Jobs, the MobileMe platform is on life support until June 30 of next year, when the plug will be pulled.

The good news is that the these features (Mail, Contacts and Calendar) will be free instead of 99$. (which is always a cool price for me) the "bad" news is I don't know what that means for iWeb, or more importantly iChat.

I like the convenience of the calendar and contacts on my Macbook, but despite my infatuation with all things Apple, I don't own any other mac products except my laptop, so (despite its excellent usability) I  am not worried as much about losing iWeb, or even the aforementioned tools. I honestly never took the time to integrate my access to all email accounts and contacts information stored elsewhere through those features; and with that, it became another account to look after and confuse an already confused soul.

I honestly wonder about the future of iChat, which is by far the best and most used feature to me; and the one I would miss the most should it go "dinosaur". In addition, I truthfully don't know enough about Cloud technology for me to not be concerned about my information.

I guess I will figure it out as the time of funeral of MobileMe approaches and the iCloud settles over the information superhighway.

JCIII

No comments:

Post a Comment