Friday, June 10, 2011

Wk 2-RE:"The Art of Possibility" (Sharon Clay)


Sharon Said:

Week 2: "The Art of Possibility"
Chapter 1 – “It’s All Invented”
            Thinking outside the box we live in requires changing our experiences. Our experiences determine our perceptions therefore we can become bound by our limitations if we do not seek opportunities to expand those boundaries.  According to Zander & Zander “The frames of our minds create define-and confine-what we perceive to be possible”  (p. 15). We also create subconscious assumptions, which makes “…every dilemma, every dead end we find our selves facing in life, [appear] unsolvable” (Zander & Zander, p. 14). In order to change this perception we must create positive assumptions built around what appears to be impossible.  Simply put it does not matter if the glass is half empty or if it’s half full. It’s your attitude after you drink the water.  Your outlook determines what you invent. Inventing new experiences and possibilities will bring new choices and opportunities.

Chapter 2 – “Stepping into a Universe of Possibility”
My thoughts and actions are a result of the numerous measurements imposed on my life.  Making decisions about where to work and live are just two examples of decisions I have made based on these measurements.  I do believe however that measurements have helped me achieve a sense of security, stability, and maturatity.  Deciding where to live was based on the type of lifestyle I was accustomed to as a child.  Believing that I had to provide a certain type of home for my family, in a particular neighborhood was a result of measurements as well. While I am a northern girl to the core – I currently reside in the Southeast because this is where I “measure up” to those standards.  Accomplishing all goals are a result of one’s recognition of measurements. Within those measurements are indicators of success and I have used each one to make decisions and take advantage of all the possibilities available to me. However, according to Zander & Zander

Chapter 3. “Giving an A: Giving Yourself an A.”
After ten years of teaching the “Giving Yourself an A” theory is something I have practiced numerous times but did not know what is was until I read this book.  Teaching requires that you develop and maintain the ability to see possibilities in all situations, even when it seems that all means have been exhausted. This is especially true when you have so many other factors like, unsupportive administrators, dissatisfied parents, and of course No Child Left Behind, to contend with; all different forms of measurements.  I teach my students to help each other.  My classroom is a community and it extends beyond room 210.  Each year I encourage my students to develop selfless attitudes and to help their peers do the same.  I think “Giving Yourself an A” is very similar to “paying it forward”.  You have to look beyond your limitations to make someone else’s day.  Once the ball gets rolling the possibilities are endless. Students extend genuine courtesies to peers from an intrinsic force, which is recycled time after time. 

Chapter 4. “Being a Contribution”
I will continue to maintain a positive attitude even when I struggle to see the possibilities.  Helping others reach a point where they too can see the possibilities is my focus.   Being a contribution is not about personal gain instead it’s about effecting change.  Each smile, kind word, and helping hand is a contribution. These small selfless gestures change attitudes and evoke possibilities.
Zander, R. S., & Zander, B. (2000). The art of possibility. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.


John said:
“Sharon,

I feel kind of silly in hindsight......

for whatever reason it never crossed my mind to break up my observations for each chapter in separate sections so give a more coherent synopsis of what i got from the reading.

There really was so much insightful material going on in the book that even though I submitted some nuggets, I don't think I did it justice.

The "giving yourself and "A" concept was very interesting in their context. I have seen variations on it before, but I never heard it broken down in this way; and I honestly was thinking about the natural consequence of giving an “A” from the start even before it was discussed in the chapter.  I do not remember if it was spoken of in this context, but was I read, I actually thought of it as establishing (what my Pastor says) the operation in the spirit of excellence. I also like the fact that it does not allow for glossing over failure to live up to the “A” or diminishing the moments when this occurs. I like that they were explaining  “ahead of time” why they earned the “A” so that they take a personal ownership of the expectations set forth. That way, if there is a failure to live up to them or a reminder that they have fell short, it is based on their own standards and not any one else’s.”

No comments:

Post a Comment