Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Wk3-1 DB Quickies: Difficulties starting new programs/breaking the norm


Topic #1: Briefly share any experiences you’ve had when you’ve had a part in introducing a new program or a new way to do things at your job site. Please share any triumphs or frustrations you’ve had trying to improve the system or when you’ve pioneered or piloted some outside the norm.

When I was still working for the school I spent a lot of time attempting to “Brand” the school program I worked within, since it was an alternative high school program contracted by the school board. It was a way for me to use my Graphic Design skills and allowed me to assist them in their promotions in the local area and showcase the program to new students and their parents.

Initially I started with a School logo (Mascot), which was “commissioned” by the then Director of the program. The initial problem was that their wasn’t much use of it program wide (15 school sites) Since It was sanctioned by the leadership but wasn’t being effectively utilized, I could still use it to brand my site.  I then made all printed correspondence from my site utilized the school logo. Over time the majority of the program was using the logo because they saw how I was using it to create an identity for my school site and students.

There was a similar situation that occurred with other marketing materials I created for my site, but saturation of much of the creative design I created was assisted by the fact that I, like many of my staff, were periodically moved around to different school sites. I would then start again with branding that particular site under the school logo, but approaching it uniquely for that site.

There was some level of effectiveness for the branding, albeit a limited one, as the leadership was permissive, but not fully engaged in the initiative.  Even with the local website, which was designed under the Director of special services, which was to be a promotional tool to showcase our staff, students and activities, went only so far because the leadership would allow the effort, but not actively support of become engaged in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment