Friday, June 10, 2011

Wk2-1 DB Quickies: CD Ownership, Music Sharing or Spontaneous Listening


Briefly share how you use music in your personal life: are you a CD collector, someone who gets their music off the Internet through friends or Peer-to-Peer networks or do you have a music subscription where you can listen to whatever music you feel like listening to at the moment? Or are you some combination of the above?

I started collecting music as a teen when CD’s were coming of age and as a result much of my best stuff is still in Cassette form. My music loves stretched across so many genres that most family get-togethers were Dee Jay’d with my music for many years.

One of my private projects of late is converting them all over to MP3 so that I can keep all the music I have collected over the years. As an artist, I have always been very interested in the album art and imagery connected with the artist; which is part of the reason I still prefer buying the CD so I can have the album art.

I download (legally) when I have to find old music that I can’t find on CD anymore. I honestly found out about P2P networks about the time of the fall of Napster, when the industry was trying to crack down on them. As a result I was freaked out to the degree that I actually felt like I would be the one caught and made and example of. Judging by the size of my music collection its heyday, that wouldn’t have seemed far-fetched to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment