Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wk3 Re:Lauren Schneck's Bravo Bucket



Posted by Lauren Schneck at 6:55 AM
I must say the notion that "the eyes never lie" really is true. There is a lot I can learn from my co-workers, my bosses, and the teachers I am helping, by really looking at their eyes when I speak to them. Looking in their eyes can tell me wether or not they are really into what I am saying and wether or not I am connecting with them. I can remember being half way through a seminar on technology and making eye contact with some teachers and instantly realizing I never had their attention. I need to remember that concept as I go on with my work.

Rule number 6 is something I feel I am grasping. I really don't take myself too seriously, and I don't think I am in danger of doing so any time soon. I do know though that people in my department do take themselves way too seriously, and I can see that it hinders a lot of things in their work life and becomes a stumbling block to success. I know that personally I have a hard time respecting leaders that are unnecessarily serious about themselves. I know it's not right to disrespect leaders and I would never do anything outright against them, but internally I loose a little bit of admiration when I see a leader being very serious about themselves all the time.

The concept of leading from your chair so to speak is something that I don't give enough credit. I know that there is truth to the concept that if you do the best with the position and resources you are given you will be successful. Sometimes it is hard to believe that when you don't feel that things could possibly get better. I know that I have to remind myself of that concept often even though I feel that what I have right now doesn't add up to very much.

John said on  June 15, 2011 11:13 AM
Since I have not finished my read on 5-8, I have been hesitant to comment on most other peer’s post except where it speaks to something that caught my eye that may not give away the “fun” of the reading (It really is good stuff)

Regarding must say the notion that "the eyes never lie”… I have noticed the fact over a long period of time that I have never as a habit looked most people in the eye when I speak to them (at least not by habit, anyway). If I am interested enough to talk to them at all, typically I am focused in on the words and their meaning, but I learned the importance of this in practice much later in life than many young men and still find myself (ironically enough) trying to explain the concept to a teen with special needs to looking others in their eyes when speaking to them.
Don’t get me wrong, this is a great practice to follow; but Sometimes, (emphasis on “sometimes”) you can have their attention and not see their eyeballs
JCIII

No comments:

Post a Comment