Thursday, June 2, 2011

Wk1: Good Copy Bad Copy

Though it was longer than I expected when I sat down to look at it, Good Copy Bad Copy was an interesting documentary. I t truly generated the most passionate responses I have had to date regarding Copyright; even from the standpoint of a creative professional.

I can’t help but wonder throughout the piece if the responses from those who infringe would be the same if it was their work. Honestly I kept thinking that the reason most were so cavalier about their efforts was because it was someone else’s.

I thought a lot of the Copyright myth #6 that says that an original work created from someone else's work belongs to me.  When I watched the segments on GirlTalk and Tecno Brega, each seem to show some form of creative expression, but when I found myself trying to see things from their standpoint they point out the holes in that theory by, instead of pointing out the original recordings created and hanging their hat on that rationale; choosing to either point out others that have done it and not been penalizing (Tecno Brega/DangerMouse’s Gray Album) or saying that they aren’t hurting anyone and current laws are “inhibiting the flow of culture and Music”  (GirlTalk)

On another note, as I watched the rest of the video I noticed that that most of the violators did not care much either because it wasn’t a crime in their country or because it wasn’t work from their country For example, The Nigerian Piracy trade did not care about pirating "foreign" movies because, unlike Nigerian producers, the foreign producers didn't come in to their shops so the were less likely to get arrested.  In Sweden, the piracy, according to Pirate Bay, wasn’t illegal, though the work they shared wasn’t Swedish work.

Being a creative, I straddle the fence on creative freedom, but I don’t think that because you like what I do, you are automatically entitled to it without my permission because you are a consumer.  Using that rationale, it won’t be around long because it is no longer profitable for the source of the work to bother producing it.

3 comments:

  1. While you bring up some interesting points about the views of those in countries that do not have copyright laws, I tend to disagree a little on the part your mention about them not really caring because they didn't get in trouble. My take is that whatever country you are in, the masses will purchase the original works of the authors if they truly enjoy the music as it stands. The reason a lot of people buy the remixes is because they prefer the new musical arrangement. Although I disagree a bit about the music aspect, I agree with you about the filming aspect. Piracy of movies is just that, Piracy. It is not a remake, remix or sample .... but purely theft of a movie to make a profit. I have such strong feelings about it that I have always refused to purchase bootleg movies and music. Living in New York for two years, I finally buckled and purchased a bootleg movie (which shall remain nameless) for $5. I thought it was a good deal, however the movie not only sucked, but the copy was a bad copy because of the quality of the piracy. I felt so guilty that I cheated the actors and directors, that I purchased the original movie, and gave it away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Draney,

    The Nigerian "Pirates" actually said that they didn't care in the video because the movie producers didn't come there. They also said that they don't bootleg Nigerian movies because the producers come to their stores and that they would get arrested.

    I don't presume to think that all the people there would buy a bootleg over the original....That is silly. but they did say that...(or that is what the "translator" said they said.)

    Regarding the remix....I think my dispute is the fact that they are doing whatever they want with someone else's work and I have not real proof that the original artist knows, approves or has any profit in the effort.

    Some artists might collaborate for free. some might split some proceeds....but their is no indication they even know.

    all I can do is go by what they said and did. what they did is used a file share....of somebody else's stuff....what they said is they weren't hurting anyone (Girltalk) and justify that Dangermouse didn't get in trouble when he did it instead of own up to what they were doing.

    All I can do is make my assessment on what I saw...and I saw a "no-big deal" attitude about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction:

    .....and justify that Dangermouse didn't get in trouble when he did it instead of own up to what they were doing. That was (This was Tecno Brega)

    ReplyDelete