Thursday, June 2, 2011

RE: Ali's Good Copy Bad Copy


Ali said:
Good Copy Bad Copy wasn't what I was expected at all. I thought it was going to be a boring documentary about how wrong it is to use other people's work. Instead I was pleasantly surprised with the cultural movement the internet had with the making of music. I hear all he time how people are losing jobs in the music industry and the internet is ruining music. I disagree actually, and agree with the man who stated that the business has to embrace it and change. The power of the internet cannot be controlled nor should it, which was pointed out with the 'pirate bay' people. That would be violated our rights as people. I also found it very interesting that they were correct with they don't have the same laws we have here in America, so who are we to say it's wrong and interfere. I loved what Brazil was doing wit the music how awesome it was to come end the documentary with it coming back to the producer in America. These people don't want money they want to just create, they should be able to do just that.

I said:
we are disagreeing sharply on this Ali, (in friendly discourse, of course)

I spoke on this a couple of Blog entries ago (LOL- I posted a lot today)
I agree that the internet should not be controlled and I am pro creative expression, but as a creative myself, I do have pause with someone anywhere using my work without my permission, even if it is just to party. If they ask, I may be cool with it (though I doubt that they are partying without making ANY money)

also; I stated in my post on Good Copy Bad Copy
“I don’t think that because you like what I do, you are automatically entitled to it without my permission because you are a consumer.  Using that rationale, it won’t be around long because it is no longer profitable for the source of the work to bother producing it. “

These producers weren’t just using music for the sake of music, they were using an actual well-known artist’s piece who is hot right now and tweaked it to a style for their needs. If it was just music for music sake, why didn’t they just make their own? I am quite doubtful that they did not know that was Gnarls Barkley. It is used because it’s  “hot” right now.

I think there may be some form of middle ground, but this may not be the right one.

Just my thoughts,
JCIII

2 comments:

  1. John, although I can see where you are coming from regarding the profitability of art, I strongly disagree with the last part of your statement..."it won’t be around long because it is no longer profitable for the source of the work to bother producing it. “

    I think the majority of artists take payment as a bi-product of doing something they love. I’m an artist and will always create my artwork, as will my wife (photographer), because we love doing it. If opportunities arise to sell it, as they have already, we will sell it. But the goal of most artists, I believe, isn’t exactly to make gobs and gobs of money. I think it just so happens that art happens to produce good money. And of course there are exceptions to this rule. My final thought is the price of artwork. In general, art and entertainment is WAY overpriced. Artists charge the amount they do because they can -- and maintain a high level of profitability. If they charge a lot and get a smaller audience, that equals the same as charging less and gaining a larger audience. The net profit will equal out. I simply think most artists have chosen to take a smaller audience with higher prices to get the return they want. There’s something artists love about their produce being “rare”. In my opinion, artists should want their material out in high volumes so that more people can enjoy it. After all, art is intended to be pleasing to others, not cause strife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drew,

    Though I freely admit that Most of us who have embraced a ford of creative expression as a passion have and will commit to doing it on some level whether compensated or not (myself included) my point regarding this statement was more so speaking of those who have done this because it makes money...

    I was thinking of a lot of entertainers (Rappers Mostly) who see this as a cash cow. and do it as a profitable vehicle and safer alternative than the "diversions" they partake in.

    Whether or not the work is overpriced or not, my point is if it's mine, and it can sell....why should you (hypothetically speaking) exploit my work and not pay me for it. I would have to pay you for it if I did the same.

    I will still do my art (I always have) because it brings me joy, but if I can do it AND get payment...let's go to the bank! LOL

    ReplyDelete