Friday, November 5, 2010

bp5_Web2.0 Tools-Wix




One of the challenging things I have had to overcome as of late is to find a way to make my Web 2.0 Research relevant to my challenge based research. Because I am not in my previous school setting, that is not always easy. My saving grace is bing able to choose Web2.0 that I am using in my “environment”. At present my environment is Graphic/Web design, which is where I have spent most of my    time and energy when I am not working with the “darling lil’ children”  that have been so colorfully listed as “at-risk”

Wix.com is one of the 2.0 tools on pretty much every list I have been provided thus for educational resources. And has also been tweeted to me by EMDT. It also happens to have been a “significant ping” on my radar for a few weeks due to my need to revamp my personal website. Since I have my freelance business name and my given name as domains…it gives me a reasonable excuse to have two websites (in hindsight, it may have been more beneficial to my freelancing to do this a bit ago, but, live and learn I guess. 

I invested an hour or two to go experimenting with Wix and I have created a simple online portfolio site with one of the Fine art templates provided and a few of my design pieces. The page is located at http://www.wix.com/designefxjc3/fso. I am very impressed with the overall usability, level of control over interactive output of the program and am eager to dig deeper into the program and see how elaborate a page I can create on it.



The only real problem I am having thus far with this program is one that I can’t really gripe about; that is the prominent shameless plug on the bottom of the site advertising Wix, which can only be removed by converting to a premium account. 





It’s annoying to someone like me who really doesn’t care to share credit with anyone who did not ACTUALLY work on the project, but  for a free platform like this one, with very cool features and very little learning curve for flash greenhorns.  the price to pay isn’t that steep.  

I guess I need to dive back into Lynda.com and amp up my Flash proficiency  rather quick…….or get used to Website designed by Wix & John Carter III!

1 comment:

  1. Hey John, I just viewed your blog on this website web 2.0 wix. I actually played around with it for about an hour. I really liked it. I think I am actually going to using that site for part of my portfolio as well. It really is a great alternative to working with flash, although it is more customizable using Flash. Flash is a great program, but the learning curve is a little steep.

    ReplyDelete